Carrot Walnut Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 3 slightly beaten eggs
- 4-5 cups of grated carrots
- 1 & 1/2 cups walnut halves, chopped (optional)
- * Next time I make these I want to add some oats or bran flakes
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. 2 Prepare 2 muffin tins. Depending on how full you make your muffin cups this recipe yields between 22-24 muffins, about 2 dozen.
3. 3 Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl
4. 4 Add oil and eggs to dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
5. 5 Fold in grated carrots until all of them are wet with the batter (it will look like a giant carrot mess with hardly any batter to hold it together just make sure all of the carrots contact batter) then add the nuts if you choose to use them.
6. 6 Scoop into muffin cups. I use a 1/2 cup measure and fill them all the way since these muffins don't rise very much.
7. 7 Take out when just starting to brown. This takes about 17-19 minutes in my oven then I turn the oven down to 325 for another 3-5 minutes to make sure the middles get all the way cooked.
8. 8 Let them sit for a few minutes - and then they will be ready to munch on.
Some of my skin is in there somewhere...
Don't you like the lady exercising in the background. She inspires me.